"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Saturday, April 2, 2011

Fully Accepting.

So I am on week 9 of 10 in a Bible Study called "David Seeking a Heart Like His" by Beth Moore.  (http://www.lproof.org/) If you've ever done one of her studies you know she does a great job of searching out what scripture really says AND applying it to life.  Well last week the gals in my group and I spent had all spent some time discussing David's parenting.  See David did some great things and he had some great failures, like all of us. But it appears David allowed his failures to rule in at least one area of his life, parenting. We were studying 2 Samuel 13 especially in regard to his children Amnon, Absalom and Tamar.  A huge tragedy all the way around from rape, to hatred and finally murder. There were parts of this awful story that David as father could have stopped, but he didn't. He did nothing. It appears that he believed the lie that since he had blown it in the relationship part of his life he had no authority to correct his family in that area of life.

Beth Moore says, "Two wrongs don't make a right. If we blow it as a parent, spouse, servant, employee, or leader, we should fall before God in complete repentance and ask Him what we must do to cooperate with restoration. Then we should follow Him in utmost obedience. Restoration does not mean you can no longer stand for the truth because you fell. Restoration means you must stand." pg 175 of "David Seeking a Heart Like His"  Later the question is asked, "Do you see how crippling our unwillingness to full accept the Lord's forgiveness can be?"  That's a stop and ponder point. In what area of your life have you not really soaked in God's love and forgiveness?  Chances are you are walking with a limp in that area of your life. And sadly, that limp not only effects your walk, but those around you. What about your children who want you to run with them in the park but you decline because you "limp". What about the joy your limp robs from you because you are so self-conscious when you have to walk in front of others publicly.  The examples could go on and on but the point is we do not live on an island where we are the only inhabitants. Our decisions effect those around us. Even decisions that are so personal like not fully accepting God's love and forgiveness' ability to wash us clean and make us new.

Paul prays for the people of Ephesus in Ephesians 3 that God would strengthen them, through his Spirit in their inner being so that Christ may dwell in their hearts.... It appears to me that he realized the struggle it is for us to fully accept God's gift of grace. He recognized the answer. Not only does God give us the free gift of grace but HE gives us the ability to accept it!  That's what I'm praying for these days. I'm praying that God will create a clean heart in me to fully accept His love and grace. Then I'm praying that decision will effect those around me in a positive way.

1 comment:

  1. Oh, Jody....I am so thankful you posted this! I think this summer I am going to take "me, myself, and I" through that study! Sounds wonderful! Thank you for sharing.....

    ReplyDelete