"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Monday, April 18, 2011

The Definition of Accountability

So I admit it, I checked.  I checked to see if anybody actually reads this blog or if I should just consider it a personal journal, on-line.  The stats show that there are people reading so I'm going to proceed with that in mind.  In case you weren't here at the beginning the purpose of this blog is to share life together. The ups and downs and all around with a focus on learning how to live out what we believe. I continue to realize that I'm not the only one who has trouble accepting God's love, mercy, grace, blessings and bigness.  But I'm fully convinced that the more we live our lives "out loud"the more God is glorified and others are drawn to Jesus. Isn't that what life is ultimately about? Relationship with God and with others.

So later this week I begin facilitating a very brief discussion on accountability. As I review and study through this topic again I'd love for you to come along with me. Challenge me, agree with me, ask questions, celebrate and commiserate with me - just SPEAK UP! :)  As we will see, God created us to support one another. So let's do it.

Today let's just think about the definition of accountability.  What do you think of when you hear that word? Is it negative or positive to you? (first impression)  My first thoughts are "reporting in to someone".  I also think I'm not sure I want to tell you what I need to be accountable to someone for, cuz then you'll make me be...accountable!

Turns out my idea is not too far from the actual definition. Webster's Dictionary to be accountable means to be "subject to having to report, explain, or justify."  Accountable: 1. Answerable. 2.Capable of being explained.  synonym = responsible

Our first accountability partner is God. It's unavoidable.  Have you thought about the fact that God asks Adam and Eve where they are? (Genesis 3:9) Why would He do that? He knows everything, all the time?  Bible commentators with a whole lot more education than me say it's His way of giving us a chance to explain ourselves. Adam is supposed to tell Him why, all of the sudden after walking with God in the garden, he would hide from Him.  God wants us to be continually checking where we are with Him. He doesn't want us curled up under some tree, sleeping just letting life pass us by. He (God) desires to be a part of our life every day, all the time. But, He waits for us to make ourselves available to Him. He wants us to choose to be with Him because we love Him.

So let's go back to what the word accountability means, report, explain, or justify. Does that sound hard or even scary to you? Why? If not, why?


No comments:

Post a Comment