"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Friday, April 29, 2011

God's Will for My Life

Yesterday I had a long wonderful talk with a friend regarding possible changes in their life. She called me (and another friend) because we have traveled down a similar path in our past. She was wondering how God showed us His will for our lives at a point of decision making similar to where they are at now.  How many times have you asked "what is God's will for my life"?  I may not always use those exact words but I've asked it 100's of times I'm sure.  That said, I was recently challenged that that may not be a great question.


When I think about Biblical examples I can't think of one story I've read where God told his people everything at once. For example, He anointed David as king as a kid and then David went back to the fields with his sheep with no further instructions recorded as to when or how he would get to be king. God told Abraham to take his family and leave. He didn't give him an exact map and destination, just leave. The list could go on and on. The point is God gives us pieces. Do we act on those pieces?

Maybe a better question would be God, what is your will for my life TODAY? Francis Chan says in his book Forgotten God, "It's far less demanding to think about God's will for your future than it is to ask Him what He wants you to do in the next ten minutes. It's safer to commit to following Him someday instead of this day."  Hmmm, that's a challenging thought. What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment