"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Tuesday, April 12, 2011

Honoring a Life Well Lived

It's been awhile since I've posted and it seems like  a lot has gone on. Most recently a gal from my hometown area died. She was just diagnosed with Cancer a month or two ago and now she is with Jesus. Pat was old enough to be my  mother. She and Dave were married for over 50 years.  I met her when she approached me at the Okoboji Lakes Bible and Missionary Conference shortly after it had been publicly announced that our son-in-law had untreatable cancer. (age 21)  She very sweetly but purposefully approached me and introduced herself via e-mail. She told me she was from Harlan, a neighboring town from Elk Horn where I went to school. She stated that she was a nurse and her husband was a pharmacist and they had some supplements that they believed could help and they were willing to share them if we would take them.  I shared the information with our daughter and son-in-law, trying to protect them from the many, many people with possible "cures".  Pat wasn't pushy. She just offered. After reading about her suggestion our kids decided it couldn't hurt. A relationship started. 

Pat was a prayer warrior with a love of God and life that was remarkable. She and Dave love laughter and shared it as freely as they did the supplements. She kept in touch and now 7 years later I truly considered her a friend. We stayed in their home in November as they came to our marriage enrichment. How do you like that? 50+ years into marriage and they still wanted to invest in their relationship. A great example for us all.

While honoring this dear woman's life I want to challenged to think what does my life represent? What do others "see" in my life. Pat prayed and then she followed the Lord's leading, reaching out to those she knew and those the Lord brought across her path. She told God stories and proud stories of her children and grandchildren. She was positive and appreciative of all God had given her in her life.

Thanks Pat for the great example.

1 comment:

  1. You know that time was so crazy I don't even remember what the supplement was. However I do remember her and her husband. What a sweet couple.

    ReplyDelete