"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Sunday, April 24, 2011

We Need Each Other

Accountability, what do we really hope to gain?  Well I'm thinking the answer to that question should very in details but a couple of points may be the same. One would be a free-er life. Another would be satisfaction that we are living as God intended for us to live.  I don't know about you but I KNOW that God knows more than me. I KNOW that He created me, knows me, loves me and has a purpose for my existence. I want to live out that purpose in every moment of my life. Really.  Accountability helps me achieve that.

Just yesterday one of my best friends called. She needed accountability. She was home alone and her thoughts were leading her down a very sad, lonely path and yet she was trying to discount her feelings to the point of not wanting to acknowledge them.  She needed someone to listen and to speak truth with love. Someone to care enough to be honest.  I care for her. We talked. I spoke truth - I told her that she can't "skip" her own feelings. It's "okay" to acknowledge your feelings. They are your feelings. It doesn't matter if they are as deep, or needed as the next guys. They are yours!  Then allow God to show you what to do with your feelings or what to learn and do it.  It's always easier to deflect to the next guy and not really deal with yourself. (I know. I'm a pro at it.)  That's an accountability partner. Someone you can be gut-level honest with no matter how trivial or big you may think the situation is.

A.W.Tozer talks about "true spirituality manifesting itself in certain dominate desires. Basically desires to really know God and live out that relationship in your life. He says "...this must be the operation of the Holy Spirit....No man can become spiritual by himself."  We need each other.

No comments:

Post a Comment