"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Thursday, April 28, 2011

I've got to tell you I'm smiling big today.  I spent time last night with some women who are looking to deepen their lives with Christ through accountability. Each one of them told me their personal "goal" as they left and I have the honor of praying for them and checking on them in a couple of weeks to see how they are doing.

As you know, I don't believe in "reinventing the wheel" and one of my friends shared this in his morning post after spending the afternoon touring a business and meeting with their leaders to learn about building their businesses:
There are many instances when we need to seek counsel from others who have been there and faced that.  Scripture is clear that the “older men and women” should provide some guidance to younger ones.  I’m not sure which bucket I fall in – but I guess it can be both.  There is always someone who has learned and experienced things that are facing me, and there are plenty of areas I have messed up and can share some ideas with others facing those same struggles.  For this to work though – we have to be willing to ask those with experience – and we have to be willing to give which often means admitting our struggles – to those who need and can benefit from our help.  Are you involved with folks you can lean on for lessons from their experiences, and also with those who need to learn from you? It takes more than a casual relationship to be able to truly share at that level – not a hallway conversation in church on Sunday morning.  We need to be deep in relationships – involved in small groups where we can truly connect.   Are you seeking those opportunities?  They don’t usually just fall on our plate – we need to seek to learn and to share.  God has put us in community for that reason.  Are you living that way?

This is perfect. Accountability is a principal God set up to help us in every area of life, personally, spiritually, physically, even in our business we can learn from and be held accountable for our actions.

Let me know what God has whispered into your heart over the past couple weeks regarding accountability.  Today I believe I discovered our next topic of conversation.  Check back tomorrow to see what the Lord is talking to me...and maybe you about! :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment