"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Friday, September 3, 2010

Umbrellas

I'm always reading something. Honestly usually more than one something. I read the Bible everyday in my quite time in the morning and I'm often reading a devotional type book, usually another book too. Right now I've got 2 or 3 things going and more waiting!  Anyway, yesterday I was struck by a comment a author friend of mine, Terry Esau said.  This is keep it simple time is inspired by his "Surprise Me God" experiment and book of the same name. (You should really check it out).  He said something like, you know maybe this experiment isn't so much about what God can/will do but about how much I will absorb. He compares it to rain falling and our willingness to "soak it up."  It rained here yesterday. We rushed around finishing our outdoor work so we WOULDN'T get wet.  Great analogy.  Spiritually speaking God rains on us constantly - love, care, grace, forgiveness, the list could go on and on. The question is will we take away our own protective, self-imposed umbrellas and receive it? How come so often we think it's all for "the other guy, not me."

Well it's time for me to go outside. Don't think I'll take my umbrella today. I'll just see what happens. How about you?

No comments:

Post a Comment