"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Hurrying

"...because hurrying keeps your heart earthbound."  I read that phrase yesterday and I keep thinking about it. Now it's just one person's opinion, but the more I think about it the more I think it's true.  When I'm hurrying (and I have been the past few days) I'm thinking about what I'm trying to get done now AND how I will get the next thing done. I'm usually stressing a bit thinking I'm going to be late or how can I change something a bit to make it quicker.  I've needed a couple of things from a store that's not on my everyday route for a couple of weeks but I haven't taken the time to go get it because I'm always in a time crunch to be somewhere else.  I hate that!  So while I'm figuring out the schedule and how to get it done, I'm not thinking what is the Lord saying to me right now. I'm not paying attention. I'm missing out on what the Lord is doing and saying all around me.

You know it's like that in our other relationships too.  When I hurry around in the morning I don't always here what my husband is telling me about his day and often that leads to a hassle later in the day. When I keep really busy I don't have to think how I'm feeling about what is going on. I just "do" and move on.  That's not good either. Jesus came to give us life. He is our peace and our joy but in order to experience that peace and joy we have to pay attention to Him.  We have to watch and listen for Him. We have to slow down.

1 comment: