"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Monday, September 13, 2010

Lessons in the Classroom of Life

Okay, I really feel like a school girl, in class. It's that obvious to me that God is teaching me a specific lesson right now. Of course, my idea of specific has about 100 side lessons as only God can do. After all He is the ultimate teacher. You know I always tell everyone I got one of my favorite school teachers 3 times in elementary school. (No, I didn't flunk. She changed classes) I love that! I do know that in upper elementary she told my parents I talked too much so she changed the seating arrangement and put me in the front of the room, right next to her desk. Then, I talked to her! :)  I think I do the same thing with God. He's teaching me, but the whole lesson would go alot faster if I'd do more listening and less talking.

Yesterday, I read something that talked about spending time alone with God. It said it can be difficult because it goes against the "activity addiction" of this world. I've not heard it put that way before. Personally I don't have much trouble getting alone with God. Now getting quiet and truly listening? That's a whole different story. I'll listen for about 3.2 seconds and then it's back to my questions, concerns etc. God is so patient though. He is teaching me to trust Him. I mean really trust Him. That only comes with knowing Him.  This verse jumped out at me this morning. John 17:3 (Amplified Version) "And this is eternal life: (it means) to know (to perceive, recognize, become acquainted with and understand) You, the only true and real God and (likewise) to know Him, Jesus (as the) Christ (the Anointed One, the Messiah), Whom You have sent."

Keep teaching me God. I'm listening. How are you doing? What are you learning? Are you listening?
Do you trust God?

1 comment:

  1. I'm not spending nearly enough time with him, thanks for the reminder.

    ReplyDelete