"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Saturday, October 2, 2010

What do you do with what you know?

So what fun is there in knowing something if you don't do anything with it?  I mean, I'm sitting in a room with a couple of files full of great colored paper, multiple cutting tools, adhesives, markers and TONS of photos. I know how to use all of those things to create scrapbooks full of wonderful memories. However, at this moment there are so many photos, papers and adhesives that I haven't used in a long time that it's hard to get started. After all it could take months of full-time scrapbooking to get caught up and then you've got to maintain your scrapping. And none of this takes into account learning to really use your new camera with a ton of great features. Overwhelming, so it just doesn't get done, even though I really like doing it when I do, do it. Really!  Exercising can be the same way, but let's not get started down that road....

That's what I'm thinking about this morning. One time a farmer friend of ours told my husband while discussing the many new features on his new combine, "I already know enough about farming that I'm not putting into practice. I don't need one more new thing!"  Sometimes I think we miss out on really getting to know and live with God because we just keep trying to see one more "new thing". Don't get me wrong, it's okay to keep learning but only if you use what you learn.  I love books and I can get snagged in just by a title. Bible Studies and conferences can be the same way.  I get drawn in and I just have to go! For other people there are just too many choices of things to do. It's overwhelming.

This morning I read "Be still in the presence of the Lord and wait patiently for Him to act. Psalm 37:7   Hmmm, "be still in His presence". Be with Him. He is with me, but I have to acknowledge that.  I need to soak in His presence. It makes me smile just to think of Him sitting here with me.  I don't have to rush to the next book (I've already read from 3 different books + the Bible this morning).
I just need to soak in His words and watch Him act, follow His lead.

No comments:

Post a Comment