"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Tuesday, October 5, 2010

My Surprise Question

So my latest "surprise" from God is a question I read in Francis Chan's book "Crazy Love". I'll paraphrase it, if you were to go to heaven today and find that it is everything you dreamed of, no cancer, no bullys, no lies and everyone you loved was there but Jesus was not there, would you be satisfied? Wow, that one caught me by surprise and I haven't been able to "shake" the thought. Honestly, I'm not sure of my answer. We all "know" the right answer, but is that my answer?

If I am focused on really getting to know God my whole perspective changes. When I focus on Him in my day, the circumstances don't sway me so far. I don't get so frustrated when my day is interrupted and I don't get everything on my list done. Why? Well, because as I get to know God I'm learning how much He loves me and knows me. He had  plan for all my days before I was even born. (Psalm 139:16) He only wants what is best for me. Not only what is good for me, but what is best for me. I just need to get to know Him better so that trusting comes easier. If I focus on Him, nothing that happens in my day can rob me of my joy of knowing Him. My situation can change and I don't have to be happy about the situation but my day is not ruined because my heart knows that God is still in charge and He is looking out for me. He loves ME!

"And this is eternal life (it means) to know (to perceive, recognize, become acquainted with and understand) You, the only true and real God, and (likewise) to know Him, Jesus (as the) Christ (the Anointed One, the Messiah) whom you have sent." John 17:3 Amplified Version

John Piper says, "God is most glorified when I am most satisfied in Him." Hmmm, the question is am I satisfied in Him. What do you think?

1 comment:

  1. Intersting I just got a Francis Chan book I"m looking forward to it more now!

    ReplyDelete