"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Too Much Learning??

This comment from Rick Warren's teaching at the Desiring God Conference earlier this month jumped out at me.  "You only believe in the part of the Bible that you actually do. We're supposed to be doers of the word and not hearers only. The problem today is that we are teaching too much. We're learning more than we can do. There's a wide gap between knowing and doing in America Christianity. It's because we're teaching too much."

I immediately thought of our farmer friend that I've quoted before. He told Mark during harvest one year, I already know more about farming than I'll ever be able to do.

I wonder what would happen if we actually started to use the knowledge of God that we have? If we actually lived like we believe, really believe we are sinners saved by God's grace. I think it's easier for us to "do." To go to church or another Bible Study, give a little money in the offering, work hard and don't party too much is something to make us feel like we're good people. It just occurred to me that it sounds like my goal is to let everyone know how good I am. Sad. My life should be reflecting how GREAT God is.

Don't get me wrong, I believe we need to keep learning but not just for the sake of appearances or to make ourselves feel good. Our goal is to get to know God, to have a relationship with Him. If our goal is to get to know God better, just like getting to know a new friend, we will spend time with Him. We won't rush through each meeting. We'll listen to Him and watch for Him. As we do, it will change our life.

No comments:

Post a Comment