"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Sunday, October 3, 2010

I'm still asking, what do you do with what you know?

So what do you do with what you know? My observation is that a lot of us just keep collecting knowledge and/or waiting for _______(you fill in the blank) to happen and then I'll __________.(again, you fill in the blank)  If you don't believe that, look around your home. I bet you are like me and you'll see several projects that aren't done, some not even started. Why? Because you are waiting for something. Is that really how you want to live?

I've had the pleasure of meeting and getting to know Phil Vischer's family a bit. The following is a quote from his web site. www.philvischer.com

"This morning in my devotions I was rereading the notes I had taken from Henry Blackaby's study on the book of Samuel, and I came across this quote from Mr. Blackaby:
"To tell the people that He is with us in all of His power when there is no evidence of it in our lives is a betrayal to God's people."
This convicted me when I first read it 7 years ago, and it convicted me again this morning.  It's so easy for us as leaders to stand up in front and proclaim God's awesome power.  They hear it in our messages and our praise choruses.  But do they see it in our lives?  I mean, really?  Is God's power visible in our lives?  Or is it just lip service?

But… this will only reach its potential if God shows up in it.  If His power is manifest in this work, and, more importantly, in my life.  Am I just giving God lip service?  Just repeating things I've heard in a million praise choruses?  Or am I bearing witness to a God who has made Himself present in my life?  Am I focusing on the work, or on God?
How about you guys?  The world doesn't need to see how clever we are.  The world needs to see the manifest presence of God in our lives.  The power of God.  On the canvas of humanity. (emphasis mine) It doesn't matter what comes out of my mouth, if it isn't coming out in my life.
Thanks for the reminder, Henry."

Besides the fact that he is reviewing notes from Henry Blackaby one of my favorite author/teachers, he is asking the same question I am asking. Do you know God? If you do, how does that relationship make a difference in your life, your daily life? What do others see?

P.S. Check out Phil's web site and see his newest project "What's In the Bible"DVD's.

No comments:

Post a Comment