"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Thursday, October 7, 2010

Following with Glad Anticipation, really?

So in a season of many questions/decisions I open up a little devotional book, Jesus Calling, that I am currently using to start my thoughts toward God yesterday and it says, "Be willing to follow wherever I lead. (Okay, I tell God that I'm willing to follow His lead pretty often) Follow Me wholeheartedly, (ALL of my heart) with glad anticipation (really? glad anticipation? I'm supposed to be glad?) quickening your pace. (because I'm excited to follow the Lord. Anticipating what/where He is taking me) Though you don't know what lies ahead, I know; and that is enough! (inserts mine)

So I must admit I'm wrestling with this between my head and my heart.  I know, that I know, that I know, that God is in charge. He has a plan. He is a good God, a loving God, a creative God. I know that I cannot control everything, that I make plans, and that I have a limited viewpoint as well as capacity for creativity. I know that all in my head. Now it's my heart that needs to learn to live with that knowledge.
I do know that I am learning. I'm learning to stop that crazy, going in circles thinking by asking God to take it over. God is surprising me daily by the people and stories He brings into my everyday that remind me of our need for Him. Yesterday I read a newsletter from an single young woman who has moved to China. She saw some "Ugg" type boots in a window. Went in to check it out and found that they had her size, which she says is unusual. She didn't have enough money with her to buy them at that time so she headed out with her friend thinking she would come back another time and get them. However, she wasn't far out of the store and felt the Holy Spirit urging her to go back and get them. "Really? Borrow money from a new friend? Surely not." But after a short time she did ask her friend to borrow the money, turned around and went back to get them. In doing so she met 4 new people and had significant conversations with each one of them.  Point being, if God can use boot shopping to arrange significant meetings, He can use our most daily, ordinary activities. Hmmm, it's my daily activities that I currently have so many pending decisions.

"Be still in the presence of the Lord and wait for Him to act." Psalm 37:7  Also note, 2 Cor. 5:7,
Psalm 96:6, John 8:12, and Psalm 36:9 if you need reinforcement.

Are you listening? What do you hear? Share a time you heard God.

No comments:

Post a Comment