"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Can you "see"?

I've been thinking about the story in II Kings 6: 8-23. In it the prophet Elisha warns the King of Israel multiple times when enemies are lurking about ready to attack. Eventually someone tells the King of Aram (a bad guy) that it's Elisha that is causing him all this difficulty.  He orders his people to find out where Elisha is so he can "send someone and capture him."  It' s pretty clear plan. Send a spy, report the intel and implement a capture. We've seen it in movies and TV shows a hundred times.  So will Gibbs (NCIS) and his gang save the day?  The story moves on. The report comes back. "He's in Dotham." It says the King dispatched horses and chariots, "an impressive fighting force." (The Message) They came in at night and surrounded the city. Early that morning the "man of God" who assisted Elisha got up and saw their plight. They were completely surrounded. For two non-soldier types this could be really bad. "O Master, what shall we do?" the man cried.  I love Elisha's reply.  He didn't hesitate. He knew who was really in charge, who always had and who would continue taking care of them. He says, "Don't be afraid," the prophet answered. "Those who are with us are more than those who are with them."  Then Elisha does something amazing to me. He prays "Lord open his eyes so he may see."  He doesn't pray "hell fire and brimstone" as the saying goes. He doesn't rally the local guards and/or army. He doesn't send a messenger to the King of Israel.  He prays for his partner to see what he already knows is there.  Then the Lord opens the man's eyes and he sees that "hills are full of horses and chariots around Elisha."  As the enemy came closer Elisha prays again, this time for blindness of the enemy. They become blind and he (Elisha) leads them into the city to be captured.

Elisha knew that God was protecting him. I mean he really knew it. When a threatening time came he did not panic or melt into a puddle of tears to become the sacrificial lamb. He stood on what he knew to be true. God would handle it. He even believed God could do it in an unconventional way.

How many times (maybe daily) have I allowed my thoughts to scare me right into a corner?  "O Lord, I'm surrounded. There is no way out." and then I give up in defeat or allow myself to "think" myself right into some sort of defensive action. After all I need to stand up for myself, right? I'm in charge of me. I shouldn't let others control me...you know the lingo. However as children of God we don't have to defend ourselves. That's a reaction that Satan likes to take and use against us because it seems so "right" in many cases. Our God is our best defense. He has our back - really. We are surrounded by God's "horses and chariots". Today someone I care about deeply believes she is in a corner with only one way out, to defend herself. In that mentality her choices seem limited. She can't imagine any other way.  I'm praying to our Lord that He might "open her eyes to see." I believe that when she "sees" the truth that God "has her back" she will allow God to do what He does, take care of us.  Are you feeling cornered today? Remember God has you surrounded. He loves you. Ask Him to show you His defense for you. I believe He will do it.

Please read this post and the story in it's entirety.  I'm not telling anyone to ly down like a rug and get walked on. I'm saying ask God to show you His defense. Then do what He asks you to do, if He asks you to do something.  Elisha led the enemy into the city and eventually they were sent on their way. He didn't just throw up his arms and surrender. What I'm saying is God knows your situation and has a plan. Allow God to work His plan in your life for you.

1 comment:

  1. This passage about Elisha has always been one of my favorites...thanks for the reminder! Love reading your insights, Jody.

    ReplyDelete