"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Wellness Wednesday - Caring for Yourself

As my "season" of extra hours at my part-time job continues I am continuing to learn how to take care of myself through, not just after the season is over.  I don't know about you but usually when the "unexpected" or even the expected interruptions (holidays, vacations etc) come into my life my personal care goes out the window. I don't want to become a self-centered dictator type person that ignores everything that doesn't benefit me but ignoring me doesn't work either. So this time I'm taking a bit different approach.  The first week I did quite well at continuing with my "rocking" (running slowly/walking) then that fell off for 2 weeks.  However, rather than giving up entirely I started back Sunday. I took a long brisk walk with a friend combining my time for exercise with my friend that I haven't been able to spend much time with. It worked for both of us!  I've rocked the past 2 evenings after work. I must admit I felt satisfaction with myself last night that I did not let exercise completely escape my life.

Meanwhile in amongst the busy-ness I'm really working on drinking the necessary amount of water for me.  I'm drinking at least one 8 ounce glass of water before I leave for work. Then I'm filling a fun (orange), cheap plastic 72 ounce bottle with water and taking it to work. It has attracted a bit of attention and now others are talking about what they can do too! That's just bonus support! As of yet I have not gotten through the whole bottle but I'm working on it.

Lastly I have prioritized the daily chores around the house and only tried to accomplish the top of the list. Every day I've done some housework but not everything that could/should be done. Then I've taken time nearly every day to just relax a bit before bed time. I usually read or watch TV.

I have some female friends who live near a lake. Several of them go Kayaking in the mornings. This gives them exercise and a quiet time to recharge spiritually. I think anytime you can do something in nature it gives you an extra boost.  We don't take seriously how taxing the noise all around us is to our minds.

What do you do to take care of yourself in a busy season or do you even try? The Bible says our bodies are the "temple of God". God's Spirit lives within us. I don't want His home to be falling apart at the seams just because I wouldn't take the time. It's really not attractive to anyone for anything if you are constantly tired, unkempt and whiney. So I ask again what are you doing to take care of yourself?

No comments:

Post a Comment