"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Wednesday, October 12, 2011

Wellness Wednesday - Take Some Time

One of the hardest things for me to remember to do is to take care of me.  You know, the day gets going and there is work to be done, people to talk to, notes to write and music to learn/discover.  This doesn't even count the time to physically get ready for the day and make the meals.  Then my spouse or kids or friend or co-worker looks at me and says, "I need help" and off I go again.  Generally speaking this is life. However, if I don't take care of myself there will be a time I can't help them. 

I first witnessed this in action when I was a hospice director. Often the caregiver gave and gave and gave some more. You can understand why perfectly. Their time with their loved one is obviously limited. But when the caregiver doesn't rest or get a break - even just an hour or two a day they end up so tired that they often get sick. What happens to the patient then? The sick caregiver shouldn't be around them. It takes longer than an hour or two to get over being sick so they are actually separated much longer.  The same principle is true in all of life.  If we don't take care of ourselves we can't help others or do all that we want to do for that matter.

So today I'm encouraging you to take a little time for yourself. It really should be daily but at least every couple of days.  We are working through a major change at my workplace which requires we all be there every day, all day for a couple of weeks. (even though I'm normally 1/2 time) There is even over-time involved in that and then my husband and I took a class all day Saturday, went to a volleyball game that night and helped in church all Sunday morning.  Monday night after work I went to the beauty shop and got my hair washed and cut and got pampered a bit.  Yep, there were things to do at home. Yep, some of them are still waiting to be done but I felt so much better. Other days it's just time to read a bit, or look for new recipes. Every day I should exercise.  I want to be strong to live this life fully for a long time.

What are your ways to take care of yourself?  Let's share some ideas and help each other think outside the box. I'm not only giving you permission but a prescription to take care of yourself.  Take some time!

1 comment:

  1. I struggle with this, I did before Mark got sick. Ryan is good about telling me to go to bed when I'm overly stressed but I'm not good at doing that myself. it just causes even more guilt...

    ReplyDelete