"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Saturday, October 8, 2011

Unthinkable Circumstances - Being Present

In Carol Kent's book, When I Lay My Issac Down, chapter 3 she acknowledges the "power of presence". She is referring to the power of someone being there for you.  Someone who is not expecting conversation, does not need to be overtly positive and busy doing something. They are just quietly there to support you.

When my husband completely crashed after our son-in-law was diagnosed with terminal cancer I was overwhelmed with the responsibilities of every day life plus my hurting family members.  My husband wanted me around 24/7 at that point in time. I remember feeling guilty when I needed some time to just do "regular" things like laundry and paying bills etc. Very early in that time period great friends Jeff and Dave would come and just sit in the room with my husband.  They didn't force conversation. They didn't insist on "doing" something. They didn't even audibly pray although I'm pretty sure that is what they were doing as they sat there so quietly.  They were present. It was a HUGE gift to us. We (my husband and I) both needed it.  I know that if I had asked them to do something (and sometimes I did) they would have but just being there was what we really needed.  To me that is a perfect picture of the love of Christ.  He is "there" for us. He is "present" in our lives.  He is waiting for us to acknowledge His love, His presence, His ability to help us.  Sometimes I forget this in the midst of life's circumstances. I forget that Christ is seated in the room with me, quietly watching and waiting for me to let Him help.  Sometimes His presence is all I need - a reminder that I'm not alone. Other times I need His help which he is more than willing to give.

Where-ever you are in your life circumstances remember that God is there with you. If you are on the other side of life right now but one of your friend or family is suffering maybe it's your time to go and be "present."  What are some other ways God has showed you His presence?

No comments:

Post a Comment