"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Tuesday, August 30, 2011

Waving My Banner

Jehovah-Nissi

I love studying the names of God.  Why? Who knows except that the first time a wonderful friend led a group of women through a study of some names of God my life was changed.  I mean really changed. It definitely took my relationship with God to a new level. Now it's very common for me to think about what "name" or "part" of God I just read about or experienced.  I'm telling you that because this morning I was thinking about Jehovah-Nissi. (pronounced juh-HO-vah NEE-see) 

Ancient armies carried standard or banners that were their identification and symboled their ideals.  It was like a flag, something that could be seen from far away, serving as a rallying point for the troops before a battle.

This weekend I began waving my banner of God around some friends.  My friends baby had some tests done that require them to have further tests done.  She may have a life-altering/threatening illness. The blood test they did on her did not come back 100% ok. There is a 10% chance she may have this illness.  Now as if that is not enough to scare parents, this family already has a wonderful special needs child so they are very aware of all that special needs children bring to life.  ENTER MY BANNER - JEHOVAH-NISSI   See I can wave my banner.  My banner reminds me and all who see it that God wins.  He loves us and takes care of us through the battles of life. I know because I've lived through a few.  I called my friend and verbally waved my banner where she could see it.  I reminded her of some of my family's story and how God has protected, prepared, supplied and cared for us through our battles. She was a part of our protection and care so she is knows our story to be true.  We prayed to ask God to continue to care for her family, for His will to be done in His way.  That's what waving our banner of Jehovah-Nissi is all about, a rallying point. A declaration of who we are, what we believe and a reminder of what God has already done in our lives. 

You know the story where this was first exhibited in the Bible. It comes from Exodus 17 (read it!)
The Lord told Moses that they needed to fight the Amalakites (the bad guys).  Moses tells Joshua who gathered some men to fight. Moses, Arron and Hur went to the mountain top and Moses raised his arms - his banner.  As long as his arms were up, his team was winning. When he got tired and his arms started to come down they began losing.  HOWEVER, HIS FRIENDS helped him by getting him a rock to lean on and physically helping him to hold his arms up until the battle was won.  Then they built an altar there, a reminder of what God did, and named it, Jehovah-Nissi.

This is a great story reminding us that is it necessary for us to remember what God has done and declare it to encourage others. Who do you need to remind of what the Lord has done in your life? Yourself? A friend or family member?  Wave your banner high!

3 comments:

  1. I was so glad to read this today. I,somewhat like your friend, am in a place where I need to see the power of God work in my life, but I feel too weak to hold up my arms any longer. It was good to be reminded that there are friends out there who will pray for me and "hold up my arms" to God so that His will WILL be done. And when I am stronger again, I will look for the chance to hold up another's arms, too. Sometimes it's about holding the banner pole up together. JJM

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for sharing. As I hold up your arms in prayer this morning I'm encouraging you to remember how God has worked in your life in times past. Those times are for these times...
    Jehovah-Nissi is our banner. Our God is and will care for us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you so much for calling our friend and telling her that you were waving the banner (lol Newsies referance) it meant so much to both of us. I think I would like to do a study on the names of God do you know of a good one?

    ReplyDelete