"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Wellness Wednesday

All summer I've been reasonably back on my "healthy" cycle. Recently however, I've been convicted of that - my cycles of doing things in a healthy manner...for while. Then for the tiniest little excuse my cycle ends. Which begins my cycle of I just won't pay much if any attention to my own health. NOT GOOD.

However, the past few weeks our small group has been studying a chapter on self-care. This quote by Dr. Gary Smalley from The DNA of Relationships really got me, "Taking good care of yourself is actually a godly thing. It's always in the best interest of all parties involved. Why? Because only you're full do you have the resources to care for others. You cannot fully extend yourself unless you operate from fullness. And you never will get full unless you take good care of yourself."  It makes perfect sense.  Years ago I was a Hospice Director.  I saw over and over again how the caregivers would wear themselves out, never or rarely taking time for themselves. The problem with that is if their loved ones illness was prolonged the caregiver would get sick. If the caregiver gets sick we now have 2 patients...you get the picture. 

So I'm well aware of the principal of taking care of yourself. What I'm not so good at is consistency.  The sad thing is I can see that I passed this trait on to my children.  So today I'm taking a step in the right direction.  I would like to declare Wednesdays, Wellness Wednesdays on my blog.  (Want to hear something scary?  My daughter just started an accountability wellness time on her blog too. Check it out http://www.lifelovegreen.com/2011/08/report-card-intro )

What I would like to do is talk about real life ways to get or stay healthy. My "thing" is that our health needs to include all aspects of our life, physical, mental and emotional. So this day will have a wide variety of topics and I hope to have great, wide open discussions and hear from alot of my knowledgeable friends on their areas of expertise.

Weight is out of control here in America and it is causing many of our health issues nationwide. I'm not looking to become a "top model", often they are not healthy either. Anorexia is it's own problem. But I want to be healthy so I can really enjoy life and can serve the Lord, my God with ALL my heart, soul and mind...."

So one thing I've done is cut down on the amount of sweet treats in my life. I like desserts and treats. To help me out I stopped them all for 3 weeks. That helped to get the "taste" out of my mouth. :)  Now I am enjoying them maybe 3-4 times a week and I'm only eating the ones I really like.  What about you what is one healthy thing you are doing for yourself?

1 comment:

  1. I'm working on understanding what my body needs to function. Not just calories but how much protine vs sugar vs carbs.

    ReplyDelete