"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Monday, August 22, 2011

Growing Relationships

So I've been studying my husband more purposefully the past couple of days and realizing like most things of value in life you have to be intentional. You have to make a choice to do it. When I was a very young child I made a choice to accept the love and forgiveness of God AND to follow Him. That is a choice I've never regretted. (unlike many other choices along the way)  My life is a journey of getting to know the God of the universe.

This morning I've been thinking I'm so glad I am far enough along on my journey to know that God is in charge and that He loves us more than we can imagine.  In the past couple of weeks two friends of ours teen-age daughters have been struck with life-threatening illnesses. While these are very tough, intense times for these families, they know like I do that God loves their girls. That knowledge does not make it easy but their is peace in amongst the anxiousness.  I know because 7 years ago now our son-in-law was diagnosed with cancer and my husband crashed. However because I have a relationship with God I knew that He cared for my "Marks" (yep, they were both named Mark).  Today more than ever I know that God is capable of handling whatever this life has for us. So as I pray for my friends and their daughters I am able to trust that God will do what is best for them. We have to know someone in order to trust them.

"If you are pleased with me, teach me your ways so I may know you and continue to find favor with you. Remember that this nation is your people." Exodus 33:13 NIV  This is Moses talking with the Lord. Moses, God's choice to lead the Children of Israel to the Promised Land. The verse  before this one acknowledges that God knows him (Moses) by name and that he is favored by God. Yet Moses had to ask God to teach him His ways. Why? So that Moses could know God.  The Amplified Bible says know = "progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with You, perceiving and recognizing and understand more strongly and clearly".   That, is a continual process. I'm choosing to continue with this process. I want to really know my Lord and Savior. So like studying my husband, I'm studying God. I've asked him, like Moses did to teach me His ways so that I can know Him. Want to join me on this challenge?

Oh and if you want to join me in praying for our friends, their daughters names are Tara and Briele. Thanks!

No comments:

Post a Comment