"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Saturday, January 29, 2011

Loving Deeply

Earlier this week a close family friend of my daughter-in-law's died. Her mother called me moments before she told her the news as I live near her. Her mom thought she might need a hug.  I waited a few minutes and then I went to her apartment, unannounced. When I rang the doorbell she met me with tear-filled eyes and accepted my hug. We went inside, sat on the couch and talked awhile. Becky told me about Chuck, sometimes laughing in amongst her tears. After some time had passed I told her the truth. One of the things I love most about her is her deep love and commitment to people. However, when you deeply love people you also deeply hurt. But it's worth it. It's the way God intended it to be.  It's how He loves.

"This is how God showed  his love among us: He sent his one and only Son into the world that we might live through him. This is love; not that we loved God, but that he loved us and sent his Son as an atoning sacrifice for out sins. Dear Friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another." I John 4:9-11 (NIV)

God loves us so much that He sacrificed his only Son on our behalf so that we could live. That is deep, deep love. Because of that love we are meant to love one another.

Becky's family has experienced a lot of loss due to death in the past few years. Listen to her words on dealing with the grief: "What holds me together in these times?  My family.  Our family is not perfect.  Our family doesn’t necessarily stand out among the crowd.  What my family does have is love.  Deep and caring and compassionate and all-encompassing love.  We hold each other together.  We know that sometimes talking isn’t what you need.  Sometimes you just have to cry it out.  Sometimes you just have to be incredibly inappropriate and tell weird jokes and watch funny movies so you don’t fall into that deep put of despair and pity.  It’s our brand of love."

Love is what carries them through. "No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us." I John 4:12 (NIV)  Thanks for caring and showing us a glimpse of God's love Becky.

1 comment: