"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Saturday, January 8, 2011

New Every Morning...

Good Morning! We are one full week into this new year.  There is just something about the morning sunshine, the start of a new month (or year), the start of a holiday season or it's end that's special. It's a "soft opening" if you will. In the retail business new stores will open without any advertisement to actually "practice" selling/serving whatever it is they sell.  Then a short time later they will have their actual "Grand Opening".  If you think about it our lives with Christ allow us that same opportunity minute by minute, but probably easier to grasp is morning by morning. "Through the Lord's mercies we are not consumed, Because His compassions fail not. They are new every morning; Great is Your faithfulness." Lamentations 3:22-23 NKJV (emphasis mine)

I don't know about you, but I love that! A fresh batch of God's mercies and compassion. What could be more freeing? I have been thinking about Ephesians 2:8-10 for the past couple of days. You are probably are familiar with those verses, "For it is by grace you have been saved..." But check it out in the Amplified Version. If you are not familiar with that translation, it adds right into the context the meaning of words in the original language so you don't have to look them up.  So here goes, "For it is by free grace (God's unmerited favor) that you are saved (delivered from judgment and mad partakers of Christ's salvation)through (your) faith. And this (salvation) is not of yourselves (of your own doing, it came not through your own striving), but it is the gift of God; Not because of works (not the fulfillment of the Law's demands), lest any should boast. (It is not the result of what anyone can possibly do, so no one can pride himself in it or take glory to himself.) For we are God's (own) handiwork (His workmanship), recreated in Christ Jesus, (born anew) that we may do those good works which God predestined (planned beforehand) for us (taking paths which He prepared ahead of time), that we should walk in them (living the good life which He prearranged and made ready for us to live). (emphasis mine)

I LOVE THAT!  I love that we are created by God. I love that He created a way for us to be redeemed. I love that He created us for good works. I love that He has prepared our paths ahead of time. (I think that is my personal favorite at the moment)  He has made a path ready for us.  I don't have to search and search and try to "make things happen."  God has a plan for me, just for me! I know it fits me because He created me and He planned this just for me! When I mess up His mercies are "new every morning!" I get to start again.  NOW THAT'S A GREAT WAY TO START A NEW YEAR, A NEW MONTH, A NEW WEEK, A NEW DAY... well you get the idea.  So how does this effect your TODAY?

If you'd like to think more about this check out the link attached.  This is done by an acquaintance of mine. http://janellrardon.wordpress.com/2011/01/07/fresh-start-first-friday-of-2011/

1 comment:

  1. Well I think I have my next verse to memorize! Thanks for another great post!

    ReplyDelete