"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Wednesday, January 19, 2011

The Ripple Effect #2

The ripple effect - I'm still thinking about it. I'm thinking that is what Treasure Chest Ministries is really all about. I'd encourage you to check out our original post and then add this thought again from the second post, originally written by our friend Arlin Sorenson.
Discipleship is coming alongside someone who is at least one step behind you in their walk - be it in their relationship with Christ, their marriage, their business or wherever they are – and sharing life together through practical example of how you took the next step when you were in their shoes. Way too many of us don’t think we know enough to help anyone else. Our life is not perfect, our marriage has problems of our own, our business has issues that we have to address every day. OK – welcome to being alive. Don’t want any problems – the only way I know to achieve that is to stop breathing permanently. And that is only an assumption because I haven’t been there yet. And that really is the core of mentoring, or discipling another. We share from our experience rather than letting people just hope and guess they are on the right track. Often sharing the things that we have struggled with, or even failed at, can be the greatest life lessons we have to share. Jesus didn’t pick 12 perfect guys to be his disciples. In fact, they were anything but perfect, and one left Him to betray Him. Jesus took 12 and poured His life into them. And the result? They changed the world…..forever…..that is the power of discipling another. It is the greatest form of legacy you can ever find. And we need to do it at home, in the office, and at church. 

The quote at the top of my home page says it all. My story is not better than yours. Your story is not better than mine.  They are both very valuable and that value is greatly increased when we share life with one another.  The only thing I've been surprised at in the past 10 months of blogging is how little people are willing to share from their own lives. What you know and what you are in the process of learning is valuable. I have and continue to learn from all those around me. It encourages me greatly to hear and see others talk through the process of life.  We recently started a small group with 3 other couples. We took 4 times together to just hear each others "stories", a bit about who we are and where we come from.  It was amazing how much our stories overlapped, not in actual location or situations but in experiences that shaped us. Now we are learning together, discussing a book about relationships and just sharing life circumstances. God intended for us to do life this way. Check out the book of Acts and well honestly most of the New Testament.

How are you doing life with others? Are you aware that your life effects others?

2 comments:

  1. I'm currently in a class where we have to write "our story". By far, one of the most challenging things I've done lately. It's hard to look at where I've been and where I'm going....because it forces me to be honest with myself about the good, the bad, and every place in-between.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Take the challenge! It can be VERY freeing. What are you learning? What do you want your life to be? Go girl!

    ReplyDelete