"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Saturday, January 1, 2011

What are you learning?

So a new year is beginning, a fresh start.  Have you considered what went well in the past year?  Anything stand out as something you have learned or are in the process of learning?  I'd love to hear from you, especially in the area of relationships?  How is your relationship with: your parents, siblings, spouse, co-workers, yourself and/or God?  Which relationship grew the most in the past year?  Is there one in particular you'd like to work on this year?

Reading through my journal of the past year this morning revealed that my relationship with God has grown in the area of my acceptance of His being in control which results in peace.  I'm so thankful for the gift of peace in my life. Life is easier when you allow God to be God in your life.  Sara Young talks about taking time to be still in God's presence so He can strengthen you.  Many Christian teachers talk about the busier you are the more you need your quiet time away from the rat-race to be with God. My time away from the busy-ness with God prepares me for what is to come. It centers me.  "Lord, you have assigned me my portion and my cup; you have made my lot secure." Psalm 16:5 NIV  That fact alone gives me peace. I'm willing to accept what God has planned for me. (Well at least most of the time)

My relationship with my husband has grown greatly in the area of honest communication. We are doing so much better about just talking through what we are thinking, feeling, wanting...whatever. It's great. The biggest change is remembering to listen, really listen to each other, realizing we are on "the same team."  Well I could go on and on but you get the idea.  Take some time to reflect on the past year and share with us what you've learned. We all learn from one another. Help us out!

No comments:

Post a Comment