"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Thursday, May 6, 2010

Rebuild the Walls

So I'm reading Nehemiah and it strikes me that this story reminds me alot of current events. If I have my facts straight God's temple has been rebuilt in Jerusalem - these days we Christians are his temple. However chapter 1 says those people are in "great trouble and disgrace". The walls meant to surround and protect the city of Jerusalem as was the custom of the day are broken down and the gates have been burned. I think we have allowed many of our "walls of protection" to be broken down. As I see it, we (Bible believing Christians) have steadily allowed other influences change the way we live. These influences, again in my opinion, fall into primarily two categories, entertainment and tolerance. My husband and I went to a movie last week. I was struck by the fact that all but one of the advertisements for upcoming movies were revolving around sex outside of marriage, with the exception of one. That one, although I can't remember the story line I remember that it was an explosive, violent type. That's our entertainment? Really?

When I think of tolerance, I think of "social issues." Now I have to say that I'm not a learned person when it comes to politics, social justice and/or war. However, it doesn't take a scholar to know that our nation is having trouble. I could point out specific things that I believe we've gradually allowed to permeate our lives that have effectively "burned the gates" to our souls but I'm sure by now you've already thought of some things. With those gates open, our souls, our hearts - the center of who we are is open to infiltration. But God is a God of restoration. The book of Nehemiah reminds us of that. Nehemiah himself when made aware of the situation started with prayer and prayer continued throughout the project. The enemies made fun of them and planned attacks but they continued to work as a unit and to pray. Nehemiah told his people to trust in God and get to work and they did.

Today we have an opportunity to join together with people all over the nation and pray. The "enemies" have tried to stop this day of prayer claiming it unconstitutional. It's not. It's time to be reminded that we need to do what we need to do. Don't worry about the other guy. Do what you know to be right, what the Lord is asking you to do, whatever that is. Today I believe it is safe to say a great place to start would be to pray. Pray for our nation, your state, your city, and yourself. Pray for God to restore, protect and teach us to live as the Body of Christ so we can draw men to Him and not drive them away. Sadly, I've heard people say they are ashamed to call themselves Christians publicly because of all the nasty things that other "Christians" say and do. It's true there is a lot of judgemental words and actions said and done by people who call themselves Christians but let's not let that stop us from doing what is right. "The work is extensive and spread out, and we are widely separated from each other along the wall. Wherever you hear the sound of the trumpet, join us there. Our God will fight for us!" Nehemiah 4:20 I'm sounding the trumpet! If you hear it pray. Pray and don't be ashamed. Join with Christians around the nation publicly or privately. Don't be antagonistic. Don't put down others for not praying or being opposed. Just pray. God is a God of restoration.

No comments:

Post a Comment