"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Friday, May 7, 2010

Ordinary People

While reading in Matthew it struck me again how ordinary Joseph and Mary were, an engaged carpenter and a teen-age bride to be. Then their world changed. You know the story. Joseph discovered that Mary was pregnant and he knew that he had not slept with her. Scripture says, "he had in mind to divorce her quietly." He didn't immediately stop everything. It says he had in mind...but after he had considered this an angel of the Lord appeared to him in a dream....When Joseph woke up, he did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him...." So first off when his plans got changed (and not just a little change) he didn't get all upset or excited and immediately quit. It says he "had in mind", he "considered" - he thought about it. Later it says an angel spoke to him in a dream and when "he woke up" - he slept on it. But when he knew he had heard the Lord, he "did what the angel of the Lord had commanded him." No debate is noted, just obedience.

My new friend Arlin has done it again. He just speaks my language! He's a fellow Iowan, husband, dad, grandpa, business-owner and farmer. Yesterday he shared this
I find for me anyway it is way too easy to miss the opportunities God brings my way because I am on a mission of my own. Places to go, things to do, people to see, not really focused on what God may be doing around me. The book (
Bruce Wilkinson’s book “You Were Born for This”) challenges that. I am about half way through it and already I see things I need to change to be more intentional and more focused on joining God. He wants to use us to perform miracles for the people in our patch. He wants to use us to make a significant difference in the lives of those around us. But it doesn’t happen accidentally. It happens when we make ourselves available, tune in to the Holy Spirit, and walk in faith with Him to make it happen. That last part is one that I sometimes miss. It goes to the idea of taking risks because of faith – being willing to move outside the comfort zone to engage with another person trusting that God will show up and make that interaction valuable. Every interaction is a divine appointment. Some of those are designed to be miraculous – where we are led to say or do things that we would never do on our own because we follow God’s leading through the Holy Spirit. Are you living a miraculous life? Do you wake up wondering who God will touch through you today? I encourage you to pray about it and live that way. God has chosen us – people – to be His hands and feet. He reaches and touches people through people – not just pastors and priests – but ordinary folk like you and me. We are God’s vessels to make a difference, and often those differences are for eternity. How joyous that day will be when we enter heaven and find out how God used us to make an eternal difference in the life of another. Are you willing to let God use you like that? I hope so! He wants to desperately! (emphasis mine)

No comments:

Post a Comment