"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Wednesday, February 22, 2012

Wellness Wednesday - True Confessions

First I apologize for my unannounced silence. We had a wonderful week of seeing old friends and ministry since I've last blogged. The time was rich with friends, old and new but allowed me to do what I do with exercise and healthy habits. I think "oh, we are doing something different/special today. I won't worry about it until later or tomorrow." Then later or tomorrow comes and I haven't done anything. The only thing good about this is I'm beginning to recognize this weakness sooner and sooner and not allowing it to go on for as long as it used to.  That said, I've allowed the winter to slow some of my healthy activities and thus have put on a few pounds again. UGH. I hate this cycle that I go through.

The good news is my husband came to me Monday and said that he had put on a few pounds too and he wants to stop that and lose them ASAP so they don't multiply. Yeah, a direct, close contact support and accountability person in my life! So we talked and are going back to what we know to be true.
1. Lots of water. I'm told we are to drink 1/2 our body weight in ounces of water per day. Yep, I was running to the bathroom all evening.
2.  Planned eating, including mid-morning and afternoon snacks, smaller amounts each time.
3.  Smaller amounts - wow, isn't that an original thought.
4.  No snacking after the evening meal with the exception of Mark's great popcorn now and then for a movie treat! :) His popcorn makes me smile.

That's what we are doing to get ourselves back on track.  What do you do when you realize you've been "slipping" on your healthy habits? Don't limit this to eating. What do you do when you realize you've been skipping exercising or getting good rest?

No comments:

Post a Comment