"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Wellness Wednesday - Lighten Up

Sometimes I think the best thing I can do for myself is to "lighten up."  I tend to be overly "responsible" and often it is to my own demise.  While there is more than enough hard stuff and heartache in this world there is also alot of wonderful things. We just need to slow down enough to be aware of them. That means we need to make some choices.  So here are a few choices that I have made or am making now to enJOY life a bit more.

 - Phone a long distance friend weekly.  This is something I do to stay connected with some of the great people in our life. We've moved a couple of times but I don't want to lose connection with some really great people.
 - Look around and appreciate the beauty in my own world meaning my immediate neighborhood. Right now in Iowa it's brown and rather drab for color on the ground but the sky has been a beautiful bright blue with fluffy clouds.   There are more ducks and geese than I remember in the past. One of our neighbors has put up a nice yard fence and we have a new puppy across the street!
 - Set your alarm to go off with music whether it's your Ipod or a radio station. Music can really lift your spirits. Sing through out the day!  My family is known (amongst ourselves) for "breaking into spontaneous songs!" (It's a whole different story. Ask me some time. Thanks Treasure Village!)
 - Take time to do something you enjoy for a bit each day. That might mean just being quiet and drinking a cup of tea, or exercising, or watching a favorite TV show or reading....whatever!
 - Be present in the moment at hand. You cannot change your past. You do not know what tomorrow will bring but you can fully engage in now!

A few simple decisions can really change the course of your day which can change the course of your life. I am so grateful for my life. I don't want to miss one thing God has for me...yes, even the hard stuff. I can bring glory to God by trusting Him through the hard stuff. Then I don't have to worry, or try to "fix it". I can trust Him which "lightens my load". Yes, it's time to "lighten up!"

How will you "lighten up" a bit today?


1 comment:

  1. It's my day off today and I find myself 'fighting' to have fun instead of just doing a bunch of responsible stuff lol. There is time for that later none of it is time sensitive, so I'll let you know what we come up with ;)

    ReplyDelete