"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Friday, February 10, 2012

Dating - This One is for the Guys

Okay guys, you are not off the hook on this one. Dating can be fun for you too!  Sometimes it takes a bit of homework. I mean sure your girl loves you and she's willing (and maybe even likes) that ball game you take her to but not for every date!

An old friend of mine just celebrated her 32 wedding anniversary. They live in a smaller town in Iowa so her husband took her to a near by city for an afternoon of shopping and dinner. He says he's learned to enjoy these shopping dates. He learns about his wife!

Another gentleman friend said this:
Our favorite dates are the simple ones.  Not expensive or difficult, but quiet and alone.  For years I spent time trying to do the big stuff often with a lot of other people involved.  While there is a place for that, I have finally learned that what is most valued is time to just be quiet and together.  Whether it is simply watching a movie together quietly in our living room or at the theater, or spending an evening together on the road over dinner and a walk, it isn’t the production that matters but the time.

The key for my bride is time.  She desires it at a slow pace and low key atmosphere.  That is not my normal style but I’m learning.

I do know from our early years that making the arrangements for childcare – and good quality arrangements – was one of the most cherished things I did.  It didn’t really matter what we did as long as the kids were cared for and I took care of the arrangements and babysitters.  That was a gift that went for miles.

The key is to do as Nike says, "just do it!"  Let's hear from more of you guys. What are your favorite dates?

No comments:

Post a Comment