"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Wednesday, March 9, 2011

A Much Needed Break.

So I know you probably haven't even noticed, but I've been gone for awhile. No really, we went on a vacation to warm sunny beaches.  The fact that I've been gone may not be "life changing" for you but you know what I hope it will be.  When was the last time you took off more than a day or maybe two?  Why is it so hard to do?  I asked a good friend that today when we visited on the phone. She had called while we were gone. I called her back today to find she was packing for a 6 day away trip for her family.  She mentioned that due to her husband's traveling for work they had frequent flier miles and for the past two years they have spent them (willing) on their girls. However, it was time for them to be included. Her husband has been working 7 days a week for months now. Break time!  Her answer to my question was that it costs so much to travel.  Okay, that's a valid point - the one that holds us back the most. However, I have come to a realization that God did not create us to work all the time.  In fact a Sabboth day was God's original idea.  He set us up on a cycle starting with sunrise and sunsets, a natural beginning and ending cycle.  Then I was reading in Scripture today about all of the festivals in the Old Testament. A part of them was to spend time NOT working and just worshipping our Lord.  As a nurse I see exhausted, stressed out people all the time. Exhaustion has severe repercussions, so why do we push ourselves so hard?

I'm back from a greatly needed break.  I was SO ready to go and you know what?  I was SO ready to come home too. I feel like I have a new outlook on things and today has been very productive.  Let's talk. What keeps you from taking more than a day or two "off"?

No comments:

Post a Comment