"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Thursday, February 17, 2011

Valentines Day is Over

So you have chocolate in the house because if you didn't get it FOR valentines day you can buy it cheap now! :) Life has moved on. That extra time spent thinking how you can do something nice for your spouse has passed. Why?  Okay, so maybe we can't or shouldn't spend huge amounts of time, energy and money planning extravagant surprises for our spouse but I believe the studying your spouse never stops. 

What I'm thinking is this:  I wouldn't want my husband to treat me the exact same way he did when we got married 29 1/2 years ago. Really, I wouldn't.  I am not exactly the same person. While my core is the same I've grown up in lots of ways. We've experienced life together, children, divorces of friends and family, moving and making new friends, death of loved ones, health issues, the list could go on and on.  If he would treat me the way he did 29 years ago there are many times it wouldn't "fit" me anymore.  Who wants to be "stuck" in old ways? NOT ME! (smile) 

However, we are only responsible for our own actions so think about it. Are you treating your spouse the same old way you always have? Or are you observing his/her changes?  Are they more patient now? Do they help more with daily chores? Do they answer when you call more consistently? Do they make the bed now? Do they ask you before they make plans that include you?

Valentines day may be over for this year but don't let that stop you from studying your mate. Getting stuck in an old rut is no fun and doesn't allow for growth.  Look for that growth.  When you see it, don't keep it to yourself. Make note of it and be sure to tell your loved one that you noticed!  Watch them stand up a little straighter and smile a little more. After all we all like being praised.

No comments:

Post a Comment