"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Friday, February 4, 2011

Matters of the Heart and Valentines Day

Valentines Day is fast approaching. You can't avoid it but more and more I hear people say they really don't appreciate it. They don't like thinking they got a gift just because "it's the thing to do". And there's always the fact that the common gifts dramatically go up in price. My girls and I have all told our husbands NOT to buy flowers at Valentines Day. They are just way over-priced at this time of year. (Even though the color is nice in amongst our snowy white midwest wonderland.)

So what can you do to show your spouse you love them?  Don't make it so complicated. Have some fun. First of all remember that if you are puzzled at what to do, chances are your spouse is too. So why don't we make it easy this year.  Talk to your spouse now, ahead of Valentines Day. Agree to make a list of 10 things you'd like to receive or do sometime and give it to your spouse along with a card or a little something for them with the idea that you can "celebrate" at least 10 times in the upcoming months. For example I would like: (in no particular order)
1. a gift card to a coffee shop for two drinks (one to share with a friend)
2. a gift certificate for a "no work after work night" - He'll take care of supper and clean up etc. I get to read or scrapbook or pick the movie to watch.
3. a bag of M & M's
4. a gift card that allows me to have a "talk time" with him about the subject(s) of my choice with no time limit.
5. a trip to the zoo
6. a date to a "live show" of any kind
7. a walk or bike ride with destination spot (somewhere to stop and enjoy the surroundings)
8. Permission and encouragement to take a whole day to read and write
9. a new piece of clothing or a gift certificate to shop for one
10. Dinner at a new restaraunt

Remember your list is things YOU would like to have or do. Be honest because you will probably get/do some of these things in the upcoming year.  Share something you would like to help the rest of us think.

Check out the link above on Thursdays for more thoughts on marriage and love.


1 comment:

  1. That's a nice idea. I think I WILL put together a list of things that I would like throughout the year:) I like the coffee gift card idea! I think I'll steal that one from you!

    ReplyDelete