"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Wellness Wednesday - What Would Happen If...?

I had a very interesting conversation with a couple of friends on the patio of Panera Monday afternoon. It was a gorgeous fall day and we enjoyed ourselves immensely.  One person there was a new friend so we were attempting to get to know each other better through our conversation. It wasn't long into our time when I realized I was sitting with a "maven".  That's a word I learned when my husband and I read a book entitled "The Tipping Point".  A maven is a collector of information. He is interested in lots of things and collects information like a magnet collects metal. Amazing to me is the fact that they can pull these facts out when the appropriate topic comes up. 

We began to discuss health issues in our lives. As we attempted to share personal struggles and goals, he shared information. He knew names of people, places and things. He referred to things done or tried years ago. He nodded in agreement with things we said. All of these things were true and he was enthused and sincere about them.  He made me think of me. I'm a nurse. I know many facts about health. I witness on a nearly daily basis people dealing (or not dealing) with their health issues. I see the consequences.  It begs the question what would happen if we all implemented 2 or 3 of the "facts" that we already know.  Why don't we try it for a week, just one week, that's all I'm asking? Choose 2 or 3 things you already know, for example: 
you should drink at least 8 glasses of water daily
a meat portion is the size of the palm of your hand or a deck of cards
you need 7-8 hours of sleep on a regular basis (most nights)
desserts are a treat not a staple in your diet

The list could go on and on. Let me know what you choose to do for one week. Come on, join me! Who knows you might encourage someone else!


2 comments:

  1. Ok I'm going to try to get the full 8 glasses of water, gearing up for the dehydrating winter as well as getting plenty of sleep, since I have a busy few months ahead of me. Thanks for the insperations you are so right.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm doing 8 glasses of water too. Continuing to run/walk 3-4 times weekly.

    ReplyDelete