"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Sunday, September 11, 2011

It's the Little Things

Have you ever thought about how you got to where you are?  As I was running yesterday it occurred to me that 1 1/2 - 2 years ago I would not have believed you if you told me that running would be a part of my regular exercise routine.  I've always loved to walk as I love being outdoors. I love seeing the colors in nature, hearing the sounds and watching people.  Then one day I noticed that the numbers on the scale were creeping upwards. I realized if I didn't do something they would just keep going that way. (little thing #1)Shortly thereafter one of my great sister-in-laws whom I admire for her great sense of discipline gave me a sack of her cast-off clothes. (Huge benefit to having sisters is getting hand-me-downs. I didn't have sisters growing up so I love this!)  So as I eagerly went through the sack I found multiple pair of running shorts. Great, as my exercise wardrobe was pretty slim seeing as how I didn't use it regularly. (little thing #2)  Meanwhile my friend and accountability partner says you need to start small, try walking at least 3 times weekly. Did you catch the accountability part? We meet nearly weekly - she will ask me about this. (little thing #4) So I walk. Sometimes I listen to music on a MP3 player I inherited from my daughter and son-in-law. I hear music I've never heard before. Fun! So I anticipate enjoying the music. (little thing #5) My friend/accountability partner steps up her personal wellness disciplines and shares her learning with me. (little thing #6) My husband decides he is going to lose that last 10-15 pounds that he's wanted to take off for years. So he starts limiting his evening snacking and riding his bike even more. Encouragement. (little thing #7)  One day on a slight downhill slope with a great upbeat song playing I can't help myself. I just pick up the pace to a "trot". Wow, that was kind of rewarding even though I didn't do it long. So I try it again using landmarks to see how far I can trot. And so a little competition with myself begins to see if I can trot further today than yesterday. Competitiveness? This is a new thing for me in regard to exercise. (little thing #8)  I begin to walk/run (so I called it "rocking") consistently.  After a very few months of this my husband rewards me with a new pair of "running" shoes. (little thing #9) I measure the distance I'm going and start keeping time. Again competition with myself. (little thing #10)  Yesterday I nearly ran the whole distance, 2.2 miles. There were very few and they were short walking breaks. As I did this I thought to myself I am "running."  It's a slow pace in comparison to those who do it for competition but it is my pace and it meets the definition of: run |rən|
verb ( running ; past ran |ran|; past part. run )
1 [ intrans. ] move at a speed faster than a walk, never having both or all the feet on the ground at the same time
A change in mindset for me. (little thing #11)I can say"run" for exercise.

But did you see how I got there? It was a series of little steps. Small thoughts, actions by others and actions by myself.  I didn't wake up one morning and start running 2 miles. It took time.

My current personal life verses are from Ephesians 3:14-21 and Philippians 3:14. The last one is the one I'm thinking about this weekend. The Amplified Version of the Bible says it this way, "(For my determined purpose is) that I may know Him (that I may progressively become more deeply and intimately acquainted with Him. perceiving and recognizing and understanding the wonders of His person more strongly and more clearly) and that I may in that same way come to know the power outflowing from His resurrection (which it exerts over believers). and that I may so share His sufferings as to be continually transformed (in spirit into His likeness even) to His death." emphasis mine.  Did you see those words? "progressively" then "perceiving and recognizing and understanding".  Those words indicate progression.  With the goal of knowing God it takes time and is a progression.  You gain perceptions of who He is as you spend time with Him. Then after some time the perceptions change into recognition of the truth of who He is and as He allows you begin to understand in the depth of your being pieces of who He is.

Be encouraged my friends. Getting to know Christ is a process. Enjoy the journey!  What little things have effected your life? Stop for a few minutes and think about it. Thank God for "little things"!

No comments:

Post a Comment