"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Thursday, May 5, 2011

Focused and Accountable

No, I wasn't kidnapped, well not exactly anyway. I had a "significant" birthday this past weekend and my family really "did it up right." They kept me busy for 3 days straight.  What fun!  ANYWAY, that is why I haven't posted for a few days, but don't think we can stop learning! No, no, no! I've just had more time to think about this accountability thing and life.

Here's a great, challenging thought. When we are with other people we get distracted, lose focus. Our obsession with pleasing all of those around us can take over our thought processes. When that happens to me my mind starts spinning and often I start acting too quickly.  We need to stop and call out to Jesus.  This can be done in a moments time. Physically I just take a slow deep breath and silently (if others are immediately around me) say the name of Jesus or help me Jesus.  It's amazing how quickly He can settle me down. (think John 14: 26-27)

This is especially true around family members. We often let them "push our buttons" and react rather than act with love.  Who can help you learn to act rather than react? Who can help you be accountable? What's your plan to keep yourself focused and accountable?

2 comments: