"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Tuesday, May 17, 2011

Life Can Change in a Moment

First off let me apologize for the time passed since my last post. Blogger was "down" for several days last week and so when I was able (and inspired) last week, it was not available.

With that said it seems like the last few weeks have been packed with fun times with family and friends and lots of surprises. There are changes at work, possible changes in our mentoring ministry, a surgery of a friend, a life threatening health issue for my boss' wife and the list could go on. I bring that up because it has been a good reminder to me that life can "change" in a moment. Some of those changes are big and dramatic others are not but they still pose give opportunity for us to "react".

My husbands work this time of year is outdoor work and very dependent on the weather. He watches the forecast given by radio and TV weather people. He owns a "weather station" which gives him information from weather satellites and he watches nature.  Then he maps out his plans for each week. Even with all of that information he doesn't always get it "right".  Last Thursday it was supposed to rain.  He told his employee not to come to work. He planned to do paperwork that needed done after running a few errands for the business.  Well the errand running went well but as he came home to settle into his office the sun began to peek out. Sure enough the sky cleared and he could hardly stand it! He checked the forecast. The chance of rain for the rest of that day had diminished and was moved to the next day! (When his employee was supposed to come back and plan on a whole day of work) What to do?  The thing is the paperwork needed done and had a time limit. Most of what he wanted to work on outdoors required another person to help him.  Hmm, a dilemma.

That is so "normal" in my life. I make plans, carefully I might add. I work half-time outside of our home and ministry which is extra motivation to make good use of my time. However, no matter how carefully I've thought through the day, OFTEN my plans need to change due to circumstances beyond my control. How do I react?  Often with frustration or disappointment but I'm learning to not take it so seriously. I'm learning to remember that God has it all figured out. He created me and everything in my life. I'm learning to trust who He is more than what is going on around me. In four full years of my husbands business he has never not gotten all of his work done. It wasn't always when HE planned it to be done or in the way he thought. But it has always gotten done. (period) That's a life lesson right there.

Exodus 3:14, Psalm 20:7, Psalm 139:16 are just a few of the scriptures that come to mind showing me that He is God and He knows me.  I'd love to hear your experience. Do any verses come to mind that help you when life changes quickly?


No comments:

Post a Comment