"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Do you get it?

With Father's Day just over with I was reminded again how many people do not have a great example of a Father in their life. Maybe your father is dead, or just absent or maybe he is around but is not supportive or even abusive. That's a tremendous loss. I've observed the effects in some of my closest friends and even my own family. See my biological father left my mother when she was pregnant with me. While that qualifies me for the "absent father" role, it didn't work out that way. A man came into my mother's life when I was very young. Now think back, nearly 50 years. Being a divorced woman with children (I have an older brother) was not nearly as accepted as it is now. There was a general attitude of failure and disgrace. My mom has told me with quiet shame that she was the first in her family to get a divorce. But this man came into her life and quietly took us all under his wing. He became our protector and provider. He married my Mom when I was about 2 years old. He choose to not only love my Mom, but my brother and I as well. Approximately 4 years later he made it legal. He adopted both of us and we have his name. He is my father. He choose me.

That story can be repeated for ALL of us. Isaiah 43 1-4 tells us that God created us. Then He tells us not to be afraid, He has "called us by name". He promises to be with us. And today this part just jumped out at me, "YOU ARE PRECIOUS AND HONORED IN MY SIGHT BECAUSE I LOVE YOU." (says the Lord) Do you get it? No matter what your earthly father is like, mine is great, but yours may not be, YOU are PRECIOUS, HONORED and LOVED by the God of the Universe. Do you get that?

1 comment:

  1. I have goose bumps and I'm tearing up. What an amazing fact.

    ReplyDelete