"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Believing God is God

So I watched...and guess what? God was there! He really is Immanuel! Okay, so that's not really a surprise but that's how it felt. We had an abbreviated anniversary weekend outing and it was really a nice time. Yep, adjusted plans can work when God is in them. Do I understand why I spent more time than usual planning (and getting excited) not to have the plans work out my way? No, but at this point it doesn't really seem to matter that I understand that. What I am aware of is how many times I say I "believe" or that I trust God, but still want things my way or in my time. Why is that? Well I think it's because I think I know what needs to happen, or how, or when. So If I think, that I know what is best. If I'm upset that it's not working out my way is that really believing that God is God and He knows best?

Psalm 46:10a says "Be still and know that I am God...." Okay let's break that down. "Be still" - wait, be quiet,quit fussing. "and know" - believe, trust, intimately know and trust deep down inside you where it is unshakable. Know what? Know that God is God. I Am, Immanuel, Jehovah, Lord, Adonai...the list can go on and on. But do I get quiet? Do I stop my mind from thinking of all the what if's over and over? Do I KNOW that God is God? As I am watching for God in my days one of the first things I'm noticing is that I keep inserting myself where God belongs. Hmmm, I think I'll work on being "still" today and letting God be God in my life. I'm sure it will be like this weekend, different than what I had planned, but good for me. But better than that not only good for me but good for others. How about you? What does being still and knowing that God is God look like in your life?

2 comments:

  1. lol I'm not good a being 'still'...

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is something everyone needs to work on in this day and age. It's worth the trouble.

    ReplyDelete