"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Thursday, January 19, 2012

Wellness Wednesday on Thursday Getting my "act" together!

You know it's really bad when you don't realize you missed your Wednesday post until Thursday.  Sadly, it's true. I'll use the excuse that yesterday morning (Wednesday) I was transporting my wonderful husband to a medical procedure (all is well - just a test) but the truth is I didn't think of it when I got home either. That leads me into my thoughts for today.  Clutter.

Yesterday my mind was "cluttered" with many "stray" thoughts.  We were waiting for someone to get back to us about a weekend ministry opportunity. I was thinking about a business meeting we are to go to with my Dad tomorrow, doing another lesson in the class I'm taking, some letters I want to write and what we are going to do on our stay at home vacation. While thinking about that I did some laundry, dishes and fixed some food. I did stop and get one more lesson done for my class. All the while I was putting things away and noticing that the basket on the steps is never empty, my space has not been touched in weeks but the Christmas decor is sorted, cleaned and put away! Yeah!

Here's the deal we are all different when it comes to the amount of organization it takes to make you work your best, making the most of your time and concentration. But whatever that looks like for you, you need to make it happen in your life. Our son and his wife just did this. Check it out.
http://www.theiheartblog.com/2012/01/we-did-what/    I just had to smile when I heard they were doing this.  I can't tell you how many times Mark and I have done this over our 30+ years of marriage and we're about to do it again. Much like our kids we have opted not to go on our "beach vacation" for a variety of reasons, mostly financial.  Instead we are going to stay home, shut the alarm ( and maybe the phone/internet) off and really clean out. To some of you this does not sound like a vacation but you know what? It will be. To be able to concentrate and work on a project without interruption is a treat in my book!  And we will take time for some fun stuff too.

Anyway, the point is to be able to live enjoying your life, concentrating on whatever you are doing is the ideal. My husband has to clean his desk off of everything before he starts working and he'd rather put it all away when he leaves.  I can come in, spread out, work and leave it all there till I come back. The down side of that is it looks like this.

Considering a great purple chair in the corner is my "quiet time spot" this clutter can become a distraction. The good news is no one gets into my "stuff". They don't want to touch it!  See as I sit here, right now this is what I see.

It's not a "peace-filled" sight and truthfully it is distracting. I feel guilty. The problem is much of the clutter is my collection of photos that need to be scrapbooked.  Scrapbooking is something I really enjoy but never seem to find time to do. I believe it's a great way to capture moments and leave a lasting memory but I probably haven't worked at it in a year.  Today I'm deciding not to print anymore photos until I get the current 100's taken care of. I have them in my computer. I can print them if I need them.  The thing is, it is going to take a lot of time to get this project done.  I'll keep you posted on how it's going.

The point of all this is, do you have too much clutter? Not just tangible stuff in your home, but in your mind? If so, why don't you make a plan to de-clutter? Take some time to figure out what is really important to you. Set a goal. Work towards that goal.  Do you need an accountability partner? Do you need a helper? Do you just need someone to get you started?  (I do know a few of those kind of people! :) Let me know and I'll hook you up!)  This is not just a "girl" thing.  As I said, my husband needs things to be orderly to work at his optimum level.  Come on guys, help us out. Communicate with your wife what would be good for you. Then help to make a plan and get it done!  I'll look forward to sharing my progress with you and hearing what your challenges are. You know there is nothing new under the sun. Chances are some one has gone before you. Share your questions, thoughts, solutions...we can all learn to live with more peace in our lives!

No comments:

Post a Comment