"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Wellness Wednesday - Continuing to Keep It Simple

Nothing outwardly profound or extremely amazing has happened in the first 10 days of 2012 but then again maybe it has. I actually have a good attitude about making healthy choices! I'm taking a little satisfaction in the small but good choices I've been making. I've managed to work in exercise at least 3 times each of the past two weeks. It helps that it's been nice enough here in Iowa to go outside. We are eating less in the evenings when both my husband and I tend to be snackers while watching TV. Those are the small physical things.

Mentally, I'm working on a set of two Bible verses to memorize. Memorization stretches the brain and that's a good thing. Planting Bible verses in our brain and heart is also a VERY healthy thing. God promises us that He will bring them to mind when needed.  We went to church with our daughter and son-in-law this weekend and Pastor John Piper talked about overcoming temptations. He uses an acrostic he made up:
Admit you can't do anything
Pray
Trust a specific promise - this means you have to know God's promises!
Act - do it
Thank God

So for me memorizing 2 Timothy 2:20-21 is helping me stay healthy mentally, spiritually and physically.  Listen:  "In a large house there are articles not only of gold and silver, but also of wood and clay; some are for noble purposes and some for ignoble. If a man cleanses himself from the latter, he will be an instrument for noble purposes, made holy, useful to the Master and prepared to do any good work."   These verses are helping to keep me "on track" making healthy choices!  Want to join me in memorizing scripture?  In August I set a goal of learning a verse(s) every 2 weeks. I failed at that up till now. I've got a fresh start. 

What other small but good choices are you making these days? Share and encourage someone else!

1 comment:

  1. Oh I'm so bad at memorizing I really need to work at it...

    ReplyDelete