"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Wellness Wednesday

I was struck this morning with the simplicity of doing the right thing.  We make this wellness thing so hard.  We need lots of tests and books and exercise equipment and kitchen tools. Special food bought from special "health" stores not to mention calming candles, soothing music, lights...well you get the idea.  This morning I was reading in 2 Timothy 3:10-17.  I suggest you read it for yourself in your favorite version of the Bible or maybe even in several versions. I love doing that to try to discover some different perspectives on what the words mean. Now, with wellness in mind listen to these words:

 You, however, know all about my teaching, my way of life, 
my purpose, faith, patience, love, endurance, persecutions, sufferings 
- what kinds of things happened to me in Antioch...
Yet the Lord rescued me from all of them.
In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted...
But as for you, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of,
because you know those from whom you learned it...

Please note I do not have any kind of educational degree in Biblical interpretation but here is my take on this.  Paul is basically saying you know and see my life. You know that my purpose is faith, patience, love  which sounds like a stellar Christian life so far. He continues including endurance, persecutions and sufferings.  To a certain extent if you've been around the Christian faith very long you know that some suffering and persecution is a part of the package. However did you notice that word,  endurance. Hmmm, he is noting that we need to have endurance as a part of our life.  I can't think of a better way in this life to learn endurance than in your favorite exercise of choice.  In order for it to benefit you have to stick with it! Walking one day or even for a week or two is a great start but you won't reap much benefit if you don't keep it up.

Let's move on for a minute, continue in what you have learned and have become convinced of.
We have all heard or read what we need to do for exercise and food intake.  There are many, many articles written and published every day on this topic. We just need to do what we know to be true. What I believe may be different than what you believe - but you have to do it, consistently, or what was that word? Endure. You need to endure doing the right thing.  I believe that we are better off the more we eat what I call "real food."  I have come to the conclusion that I would rather eat food made from scratch than from a powder in a box.  I would rather have food without sugar substitutes made by man and just have a smaller portion than more of one full of chemicals.  Now, will you find a macaroni and cheese box mix in my cupboard? Yep, and you will find frozen pizzas in the freezer. Sometimes you just need something easy and fast. (I know there are healthy ways to eat easy and fast too) What I am saying is I just need to live each day making decisions that are consistent with what I believe. Can their be exceptions? Yes and without guilt and condemnation!  In all the thousands of articles regarding health research, the consistent theme is you have to eat equal or less calories than you burn in a day to maintain or lose weight. This decreases your chances of developing many major diseases. (period)  No fancy words. No high priced plans. No complicated schedules. Simple. Eat food with nutritional value in reasonable amounts.  Can you have a treat? Sure. Just let it be what it is - a treat, not a regular occurance. 
By the way, this same simple principle applies to exercise.  We just need to do it on a regular basis. It needs to be a part of our life just like work and eating. It is necessary to keep you active and healthy.

I'd love to hear one thing that you "have learned and become convinced of" in your life. Don't be shy. Others might need to hear what you have learned to reinforce what they are considering.  If you have a question why don't you ask that as well. Someone may have the answer!  This is all about living life in community.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment