"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Friday, December 16, 2011

Opportunities to Make a Difference

This morning I've just been pondering the power of our thoughts. One author was encouraging me to keep an "eternal perspective."  He meant that in each situation that comes into my day to remember that it is not just about the moment. It's about eternity. It's not about whether I get my way or credit for the work I just finished. It's about getting the work done right, people cared for and thereby sharing the love of Christ. God knows what we are and are not doing, being, thinking....  Sometimes I make this waaaaay to hard.  I think living for Christ involves becoming a missionary or other vocational ministry worker. WRONG.  It means being you where-ever you are. (period)  My friend Arlin said it this way this morning.  (He is finishing up some business meetings in Chicago I think.)

Last night we headed across the street to Gibson’s Steakhouse.  That was an experience in eating.  The meal started with a show of the steaks and seafood – tableside with an explanation of the Gibson FDA meat certification.  They are the only restaurant in the US with their own grade.  The filet was extremely good and the side dishes were fabulous as well.   Here are a few pictures of the food we had there.  The meat was amazing, but the desserts were crazy.  The table split two desserts and couldn’t finish them – not by a long ways.  The Turtle Pie had one gallon of ice cream and the carrot cake was a quarter of a four layer cake.  I have to admit besides being very full, I felt a little guilty about the amount of food that was wasted and the cost of our time together there.  It certainly wasn’t the most expensive meal I have ever been part of by a long shot – the prices were actually pretty decent.  But we had talked earlier in the day about a trip to Africa that one of the members was making and the attempt to raise money to help schools across the ocean just have enough power to run some notebook computers.  I find myself more and more thinking about the wasteful spending of money as people are suffering.  Anyone else struggle with that reality – that we Americans are spoiled and could use our money in a lot better ways.
My little patch has plenty of opportunities to make a difference for people.  This week as I have been involved in groups talking life and legacy plans – I have heard the words – I want to make a difference – on many reports and discussions.  I have been convicted that life is not about making a difference – it is about being a difference.  That little change of words – from make to be – is a significant change in responsibility.  God convicted me that I can make a difference without really doing all that much myself.  It is a matter of getting others focused and managing their output.  If we are going to be a difference – we have to do something.  That is what God desires – for us to go and do things in order to be a difference.  We need to follow God’s lead to help us truly change people’s lives by being what God desires.  Are you ready to be?  Another day of Masterminds before we head home tomorrow.  God is so good.  (Emphasis mine)


Everyday, where-ever you are is the world you live in and the opportunities God has given YOU to live for and with Him.  Is that the attitude you have today? If not, give it a shot and see if it makes a difference in your day. Then share about your day with us! We'd love to hear what you do or do not notice.

No comments:

Post a Comment