"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Monday, December 6, 2010

My Plans...or Relationship?

"Men tend to multiply duties in their observance of religion. This practice enables them to give Me money, time and work without yielding up to Me what I desire the most-their hearts."  December 6, Jesus Calling 

Wow, that quote caught my attention this morning.  We've had a busy 3-4 weeks and things around the house had really gotten away from me. BUT, I had a plan!  Friday I was to finish a costume for a Christmas event on Saturday morning, then get the long overdue grocery shopping done, plus a couple of other errands, maybe even a bit of Christmas shopping. Event on Saturday morning, clean and put up Christmas decor on Saturday afternoon. Church Sunday morning, afternoon off and small group at our house (looking clean and lovely) Sunday evening.  Do I even need to tell you that Friday didn't work out anything like what I planned which made me crabby?  So then there was tension in the house. Well after and in between all activities this entire weekend I cleaned, took down fall decor and put up Christmas decor. As I worked feverishly, I nearly ignored my husband, did ignore two phone calls and didn't call my parents as is the normal Sunday afternoon routine.  But why? Because we were having small group at our house last night.  But even more than that, because it was MY plan. I wanted it.

Well the decorations are up and the lights are all lit. Admittedly, I love the lights. They are pretty and peaceful.  However, our whole focus of small group is relationships. Life is about relationships. Why do I get so caught up in doing things my way, in my time? It certainly doesn't build relationships. I hadn't even talked to my kids all week.  So for the rest of this Christmas season (it's a starting place) I'm going to intentionally choose to make relationships the #1 priority.  Do you have thoughts on how to keep this focus?  What do you do?

1 comment:

  1. Ugh hard time to start that one, I just put off my filling at the dentist so that I could actually see Ry on Monday so that is a start right?

    ReplyDelete