"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Trusting God with No Umbrellas

"Blessed is the man who trusts in the Lord whose confidence is in Him. He will be like a tree planted by the water that sends out its roots by the stream. It does not fear when heat comes; its leaves are always green. It has no worries in a year of drought and never fails to bear fruit." Jeremiah 17:7-8 (emphasis mine)

"I don't think I'm testing God to see if this or that direction is true and from Him, like Gideon. But I may be testing myself to see if I can hold water, holy water. I wonder if this whole thing is more about my ability, or my willingness to soak up the rain He causes to fall on me. Maybe it's about throwing away my umbrella, getting rid of the protections and distractions that keep me from seeing what God wants to dump into my life."  from "Surprise Me God" by Terry Esau.

Open the eyes of my heart Lord... 
That was my journal entry on August 30, 2010.  At that point I posted most of that.  I was going to try life without the umbrella. Try to live soaking up whatever God had for me, not afraid of getting wet or messy.  Today I am so, so thankful.  It's been a long time since I've had such a season of peace.  Life is not quiet and calm right now, in fact there have been some major changes in the circumstances of our life in the past few months. But God is in charge of it and HE has provided peace for me. I trust Him. My confidence is in Him.  I have seen Him walk me and our family through some tough situations. I have seen Him shower us with blessings and loads of laughter. I trust Him. Because I trust Him I don't have to have all the answers and that is a great relief. (Not that I ever did, but I seem to think I was supposed to have answers)  So this Thanksgiving I can honestly say I am thankful for my life, right now, right where I'm at with all of the good and all of the challenges.What about you?

Happy Thanksgiving!

1 comment: