"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Thursday, November 11, 2010

Some "Moments" are Bigger than Others

Well some of these "moments" in our lives are bigger than others.  Check out Mike's thoughts:

“We need to schedule an MRI as soon as possible just to make sure there isn’t a tumor growing in your inner ear.”

I wasn’t sure I heard the doctor correctly as he was talking to my wife.  But at that point, he was stumped over her symptoms.  She had a severe case of vertigo that made her nauseous.  She was pitiful as she sat there holding her blue mop bucket hoping, no pleading, that the room would stop spinning.   

For a whole week I played over in my mind what life would be like without her.  Certainly I would miss the laundry, the birthday parties, the elaborate meals at holidays, and the energy that she brings to our home.  But the thing I would miss the most would be her simple calmness at night.  That night I watched her as the prescriptions took over and offered simple rest.  I watched the rhythm of her breathing and between those breaths I thought of the first time we met, our first fight, our kids, our first house,  and the times she encouraged me when no one else could.  It was almost like God was reminding me of the tremendous gift He had given.  That night I wept as I thought about a future without her.  I repented for the times I took her for granted.  I just held her hoping that God would not take her away.  I woke up the next morning with a renewed sense of thankfulness to God for blessing me with such a great helpmate. 

Fortunately, the MRI showed nothing and it looks like her Benign Positional Vertigo is the result of a virus.  

Now that's a thankful moment! What's yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment