"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Thursday, July 1, 2010

Eyes of Appreciation

So as I totally enjoy the most gorgeous weather ever on my deck I am engulfed in the love of God. Can you appreciate His love when you look out and see the blue sky, hear the birds, notice the green grass and colorful flowers? I challenge you to go through your day to day with appreciative eyes. We were barely out of bed this morning when I made a silly comment to my husband that was meant in fun but had an underlying demeaning tone. He heard the tone more than the fun. Ouch! When he graciously pointed it out I realized he was right and apologized. Now I'm not always that quick, but I really do appreciate my husband. He is a very hard worker and I had insinuated otherwise. That takes me back to the book of Nehemiah. Chapter three contains the names of people and/or groups of people who worked on the wall. Using someone's name is a way of recognizing them, honoring them. When you call someone by name rather than just saying "hey..." you acknowledge that they as an individual are there and that you want to communicate with them. It appears amongst other things Nehemiah was acknowledging all of the workers, appreciating that they joined in the work of the Lord.
It also just plain acknowledges who joined in and who did not. In our time together on the farm it was stated that there is a time to just let the non-working people go. We are to love all people but that doesn't mean that we have to try to bring people along against their will. We need to present the project or topic of discussion with clarity and respect for all people involved. But, we do not have "chase" people until they see things our way. Nehemiah acknowledges those who didn't join in but it doesn't appear he dwells there.
Noting all the groups and where they are working leads us to believe while Nehemiah is leading he is actively watching others take responsibility for sections of the wall. The words simplicity, delegation, participation, cooperation, administration and appreciation are all exemplified in this chapter.
This is not "rocket science". To get a big project done it takes multiple people each doing their own part. This means the leader, boss, coach, captain or whatever you call it needs to make the goal and plan clear and then let them work. He/She needs to see what they are doing and show appreciation for it. When this happens walls are built, projects are completed.
So today's "project" is to live with my appreciation glasses on. I wonder who I can encourage today?

No comments:

Post a Comment