"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Sunday, March 28, 2010

Who me?

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us.

We ask ourselves,
“Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented and fabulous?”

Actually, who are you not to be?
You are a child of God. Your playing small doesn’t serve the world.
There’s nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other
people won’t feel insecure around you.

We were born to make manifest the glory of God this is within us.
It’s not just in some of us, it’s in everyone.

And as we let our own light shine,
we unconsciously give others permission to do the same.
As we are liberated from our own fears, our presence
automatically liberates others.

Excerpt from Nelson Mandela’s 1994
South African Presidential Inaugural Speech

I think this is an amazing quote. I bring this up because I'm betting that I'm not unique when I say it's my own thoughts that often hold me back. I often question if I'm doing something just because I want to or is it really something God prepared for me to do? Why is it that if something is either enjoyable or really tough we think it can't be for us? I waste a lot of time and energy just sitting around thinking "me?"

Nelson Mandela's comments are based on scripture. Did you note these lines,"We were born to make manifest the glory of God this is within us. It’s not just in some of us, it’s in everyone." What do you think of that?!" God has a plan for ALL of us. I believe it's time for us all to "own up" to that. It's really not complicated. What's on your heart right now? Why aren't you doing it?

P.S. If you'd like to learn more about Nelson Mandela check out the movie "Invictus".

No comments:

Post a Comment