"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Wellness Wednesday - Don't Do It Alone!

In the past week I read an article in "Real Simple" magazine about a study on women and time that they did. There was an accompanying article that talked about a woman who is a pulitzer prize winner, a wife, and a mom. Good reality check. Those people we read about doing "great things" are just people too. One thing she does is go to a schedule exercise class with people she knows. This requires getting up early in the morning several times a week to get this done. She says it is her time. She feels better for doing it and therefore it is on her calendar. The time is reserved. That time is not "lost" or "wasted" it was carefully looked for and found. She needs a way to help her stay healthy to take care of her family and work. Evidently this works for her.

Several months ago my daughter asked if I wanted to do a 5K with her. I'll admit, I laughed out loud. I am not a runner - never have been. However over the past several years I have become an avid walker. I have long legs and I walk with a purpose. I love fresh air. Sometimes I wear head phones and listen to great music. Sometimes it makes me want to dance! Sometimes, actually quite often, I pray while walking. After some time, quite some time passed by I found myself want to increase my pace. I started to "trot" a bit, then a little more and a little more. I can now do 2.5 miles with only very brief periods of walking, mostly to catch my breath. I have done 3.1 miles which is 5K a few times now as an intermittent walk/run.  While I was out yesterday I was thinking about my journey to learn to live healthy and all of you, my friends.  I needed my daughter to challenge me. I needed to have a goal in early May so that I wouldn't quit over the winter when I can't run outside like I usually do.  I need to hear stories like the one of the pulitzer prize winning wife and mom who sets time aside to exercise and still accomplishes much. I need the freedom given by my husband to take the time to do what I need to be healthy. We are lucky, you and I. We have each other. You contact me and tell me what you are learning in your life. However, very few of you ever comment publicly on this blog. You call or message me privately. I appreciate it. I learn from it. Thank you.  Now I'm challenging you to share your journey publicly. There are lots of people like me, real people who want to do better with their lifestyle habits. We need to know it's possible to live healthy and still live.  And I'm sure there are many of you, like me, who need a goal and someone to know about your goal so that you will keep getting out there. This is a place where you can do that.  Share your goal here and/or on my Facebook page. Who knows, you just might accomplish more than you know you can do and you might help someone else in the process!

"Now unto Him who is able to do immeasurably more than all we ask or imagine, according to his power that is at work within us, to Him be the glory...." Ephesians 3:20-21a NIV

2 comments:

  1. It is encouraging to share your story! It definitely makes me more determined when I think about how I've made a goal and shared it with those that I love the most knowing that they are going to encourage and cheer me on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You go girl! Believe me when I say it is easier when you are younger. Make some good habits. Your family will benefit from it!

    ReplyDelete