"My story is important not because it is mine, God knows, but because if I tell it right, the chances are you will recognize that in many ways it is also yours. Maybe nothing is more important than that we keep track, you and I,of these stories of who we are and where we have come from and the people we have met along the way because it is precisely through these stories, in all their particularity,as I have long believed and often said, that God makes himself known to each of us most powerfully and personally." -Frederick Buechner



Thursday, April 15, 2010

Ordinary Life - an adventure!

I recently heard the story of a man named Edward Kimball. I've never heard of him before a couple of days ago. I can't remember where he's from and don't know if I heard what he did for a living. What I do remember is that he was a Sunday School teacher for boys. The story as I was told was that he really cared about the boys in his class and once there was a boy who was a real challenge. He decided to invest a little more time in him (as he had many of the boys) and went to visit him at his job in a shoe store. The timing was right. He put his hand on the boys shoulder and said something about God loving him and the boy accepted Christ right then and there. That boy was Dwight Moody who is credited with preaching to 100,000,000 people to Christ in his lifetime. The story went on to tell that Mr. Moody connected with F.B. Meyer who connected with...well you get the idea. It ended with Billy Graham.

Did you notice that I don't know much about Mr. Kimball and that Mr. Moody is just that, Mr. Moody. He's not a seminary trained pastor with the title Reverend. They were "ordinary" men who did as the Lord asked them and look what happened. I'm thinking we short change ourselves. God created us just the way we are, where we are. We just need to live our lives doing what He asks of us on a daily basis. Who knows where it will lead? Only God knows for sure. Life is really an adventure when you realize that God has a plan, we just need to cooperate. What's your adventure look like?

No comments:

Post a Comment